• Facebook
  • Instagram
  • Italiano
  • Inglese
  • Francese
  • Spagnolo
  • Tedesco

Sepulchre of the monks


The sepulchre of the monks of the Sacra of Saint Michael are the ruins of an ancient church, called the Sepulchre of the Monks since it was thought to be a cemetery chapel, but it now seems much more likely that this octagonal chapel was a  reproduction of the Holy Sepulchre, possibly giving a foretaste to the pilgrims of the original in Jerusalem.
The original place of worship, dates back to the Xth century. The church was still intact in 1621 and was dedicated to St. Stephen, but it began to collapse in 1661 and was abandoned soon after.

External

×
Internal

×
Monastery

×